Self-Care has become a popular term and way of thinking that has gone beyond its original concept of talking care of yourself to a marketing buzz word that packages everything from skin care products, to clothing lines, to detox drinks, to binge watching TV. These things can actually be detrimental to self care as they are often costly and distracting to the true purpose of self-care - being happier, calmer, and more mentally healthy not just in the moment but in the long run.
So how do you cut through all the promo and develop a self-care plan that supports your needs?
Ask yourself these 4 questions when you are looking to build a self-care plan that is right for you:
1. Accessible. Will this action or product be easily available to you when you need it?
2. Cost. Will the cost (both in time and $$) lead to long term happiness or further stress?
3. Sustainable. Can you build this action or product into your life so it's not just a one off experience?
4. Repeatable. Can you do this action or use this product easily on a daily basis without it becoming another thing on your list that you eventually start to resent?
The practice of Breathwork meditation provides the answer of yes to each of these 4 questions because:
1. Accessible. Breathwork is always accessible (it's your breath!), and can be done anytime, anywhere. Check out my Just Breathe with Eileen Fein podcast for guided meditation that are less than 15 minutes!
2. Cost. This guided meditation technique doesn't cost anything once you learn the method to de-stress and give yourself self-care and you will be on your way!
3. Sustainable. You breath every moment of everyday so you always have the opportunity to stop, and make a conscious shift in how you are breathing to change how you are feeling.
4. Repeatable. Again, I come back to your breath. It's already caring for you, it has kept you alert and alive while you are reading these words! All you need to do is take a few minutes, anytime throughout the day, to consciously focus on it, and it will take you to another level of self-care.
So there it is!
A great self-care plan that meets all the checks on the list just by breathing!
Listen my Just Breathe with Eileen Fein podcast whenever you have the time to continue your self-care plan.